Sunday, June 04, 2006

The Cherry Beach Diet or Wide-eyed at the World of Weight Loss

So, we're into week two of the South Beach Diet and although we're feeling no pain, we're not exactly following the rules either.

Have I mentioned that I'm a cynical person?

I did my research. I always do.

South Beach has some drawbacks. ( Nothing we weren't expecting.) You can't remove an entire Food Group (Breads and Cereals) and increase another (Meat and Dairy) from you're diet and not have some consequences. And although Dr. A tells you that you're going to re-introduce, ahem, 'good' carbs into the diet after two weeks, one wonders why they have to be removed in the first place. Removing all forms of grain means the weight loss during those first two weeks is water, not fat. So we haven't taken our whole grain bread and cereal out of our diet.
BUT. That being said, J and I have learnt some good things from Dr. A. Namely portion control, the reduction of sugar and a 20 min workout whenever possible. Mostly common sense, that, but when you have a blue print of sorts it makes it easier to put into practice.

Dr A. also advocates removing all fruit from your diet for two weeks.

Well. Hello. My name is Neatfreak and I am a fruit junkie. I think fruit is important in a diet. Lots of vitamins and minerals in them. And they're yummy too!!! BUT they also contain quite a bit of fructose. Sugar is sugar and I think, perhaps, we were consuming too much. So we've reduced (not eliminated) our fruit, increased our green and leafy veg lots and increased our protein just a bit. ( I'd rather stay off of Statin drugs if I can, thank you Dr. A!)

So, it's not the 'South Beach' Diet per se but rather, Toronto's own version. Let's call it 'The Cherry Beach' Diet.

Oh. And it's working wonderfully. J and I have already lost a few lbs and we don't feel hungry or deprived.

No comments: