Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Meme from P

1. Leave a comment saying you would like to be interviewed.
2. I will then respond with 5 questions that quite possibly could be personal—or not, whatever mood I'm in.
3. Then update your LJ (my page is here on blogger... sooo go with whatever site you like) with the questions I've asked
4. Put these same rules (or something that resembles these rules) with your questions
5. When people ask you to interview them, you will ask them five questions.


From P to me... here goes:

1. Who is your favorite 19th century novelist? And what's your favorite novel by that writer?

Mary Shelley... and solely because of Frankenstein. Love Austen and Gaskell, the Brontes (all three) and Ms. Eliot but Shelley rocked my world with Frankenstein. She takes after her Mom (Mary Wollstonecraft, author of that fabulous tome A Vindication of the Rights of Women) even though she never had the chance to meet her mom and Shelley's a fabulous feminist writer. Yes, Frankenstein is a feminist issue and those who don't get that, suck.

2. You have unlimited funds, time and a babysitter. What restaurant do you take J to, and what meal do you have there?

So there's this amazing little restaurant in Beaulieu-sur-Mer about 30 mins. outside Villefranche on the French Riviera right across from the Residences Eiffel. Ya, that guy who built the tower in Paris. It was his summer home and is now a series of rental suites. Gorgeous view and wonderful digs. Anyhoo, the restaurant is run by a small family, has a fantastic view and it's surprisingly very cheap. They make the best pizza and chocolate crepes I have ever had. Plus they are the friendliest folks. Sure, they yelled at me not to stuff myself with appetizers, but they yelled with love like good Jewish parents. We laughed! They made us feel very at home. Loved the meal we had when J and I were on our honeymoon and would love to go back.

3. If money and logistics were no object, where in the world would you most like to live?

Ooooooh... that's a toughie because there are a couple of places... but I think Villefranche-sur-Mer. It's just a nice pace of life, the French lifestyle. I've loved being there for a couple of weeks at a time and I never missed Canadian life when I was there. It's slower, sunnier (though not hot), full of fantastic art and lots of galleries, beautiful architecture, lots of history and all about the food and view. We rush around here too much. I might miss the snow in winter but I could always nip somewhere cold for the holidays, yes?
London comes in a close second, though. Faster pace of life, great theatre, beautiful architecture... that would be tempting too.

4. Within Toronto, where's your favorite place to go in the summer?

The Island... hands down. But not Centre Island... I love to walk around the streets of the community that lives there. The houses are so beautifully quirky and it's so quiet. Pack a picnic lunch, do a lot of walking and finish off the day with ice cream at the place right by the docks. Sigh.

5. You have a couple of hours to kill. Which Sharpe movie do you watch?

I'm all about eking Hagman time, me. John Tams ( I must have a thing for that name when you realize how close Sweetie's name is to that....) is a hunk (minus that disastrous moustache he is sporting these days.) Love the character and his voice. Jason Salkey as Harris ain't no slouch neither so I'd have to go with Sharpe's Gold even though in terms of the plot, it sucks. Let's face it, that whole story is unnaturally contrived but you do get that long-ish segment of Daniel Hagman shooting for Sharpe's honour in that bet with the twinkie Irish chick. Now the only problem for me is that I also have a thing for Nick Rowe ( See side panel) and he actually did a stint in the series too... so it's a tie with Sharpe's Enemy. Better plot for that one too. Plus it has that amazingly wonderful actor Pete Postlethwaite. Yup. That one's good too.


No comments: