Wednesday, May 03, 2006

I LOVE United Bakers


No, they're not a footy team. It's a restaurant that J and I sometimes visit of a Tuesday morning when our cleaning lady comes to work. (I'm tidy, not clean. There's a difference.)
The food is always amazing. Kosher dairy but they bake on premises ( Translation: fresh baked bagels with whipped cream cheese and lox. It don't get better than that BUT NO BACON). We had this amazing waitress. Very friendly, chatty but not that kind of obnoxious 'I have to be uber sweet because my boss is watching' friendly... Just nice ( I know, that horrible 'n' word).

It got me thinking about our cleaning lady too. She's been looking after and out for my household since I was 12 or 13 years old. She's always smiling, always doing extra things for us...Going into corners where angels fear to tread. She gives my son presents on the holidays and hugs everytime she sees him; she gives us support and stories of life. Her wisdom. Her care.

These people... They give me hope.

I remember being in retail. (You can't make me go back, unh unh, no way...) I remember having each day those customers who made you feel either invisible or worthless... And then getting assessed by those same people on your ability to help them. Retail and cleaning are thankless jobs. It takes a strong character to clean other people's toilets ( So says TV John from Hamish Macbeth) and a strong ability to hold your tongue in the face of obnoxious customers.
Though we thanked our waitress in words and extra dosh, though I thank my cleaning lady everytime I see her, I thought a written 'thank you' was meritted as well.

Thanks. Your hard work is appreciated. Really.

1 comment:

Trev said...

And as one of those who suffered with you, (actually, we did pretty damn well, we had such a fun group of nutbars in there...) its true, and I always am extra nice to service people and I make a point to tip them well. Its a thankless job. I remember somebody saying once, "Nobody ever got rich stiffing cab drivers and waitresses..." Words to live by.... I love that you're blogging!!!! This is fab!!!!

mwah!

Trevski